Tuesday, January 11, 2011

cold weather calls for chili!

I have been waiting for it to get cold enough to make a pot of chili, and this week was the week! I have never made homemade chili before so this was my first try. With some guidance from my mom, who is a great cook, I think I was successful!


Jessica's Chili
Sorry about the pinches, and a little of this and a little of that, I have a tendency to not measure but I will do my best.

What you need:
1 tbsp. butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. ground turkey/pork/beef (whatever you prefer)
1 can tomato sauce
1 can crushed tomato
1 can kidney beans
about 1 tbsp. chili powder
about 1 tbsp. cumin
about 1 tbsp. paprika
A pinch or two of dried jalapenos or crushed red pepper
Chicken broth for thinning


Heat butter in a large sauce pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Add rest of the ingredients except chicken broth. Cover and cook over medium heat for about two hours and let everything really get to know each other. Add chicken broth throughout cooking if chili gets too thick for your liking. Now for my favorite part, serve chili over Fritos topped with shredded cheese and chopped onions! Yummmmmy!

Stay Warm!
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment