Monday, September 13, 2010

Teal Toes!

I saw Megan's post about http://www.tealtoes.org/. This really touched me because although I knew that September was Ovarian Caner month, this is something that I can participate in and actually show my support for everyday. Last year one of my best friend's mom's, D, was diagnosed with Ovarian cancer. Coincidentally, D, happens to be my mom's best friend. Does that make sense? I didn't think so. I am always sad for anyone who is given the news that they have cancer, but Ovarian cancer is a beast of it's own. It's so scary when you hear of someone who has this silent aggressive form of cancer. We were all very scared for D but she is a trooper and came out stronger than ever. I will be honest with you, I wasn't that aware of ovarian cancer until it hit so close to home. The idea behind Teal Toes is that it will spark questions from those that see your bright toes! Then you can start spreading the word! Now I realize why we all have to work together to raise awareness. My mom and I are doing a 5K Ovarian Cancer Walk at the end of this month and I will definitely be sporting my teal toes and fingernails for D and for all of the other women who have fought this battle!


Why raise awareness?
~Too many women with ovarian cancer do not get diagnosed until their cancer has spread. Their survival rate is 45%.
~The survival rate improves greatly - to 93 percent - if the cancer is diagnosed at an early stage before it has spread. Only 19 percent of ovarian cancer cases are diagnosed at this local stage.
~Approximately 75 percent of ovarian cancer cases are diagnosed at an advanced stage after the cancer has spread beyond the ovary.
This information is from the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance.

Love All,



1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jess--I am so touched by your blog and your participation in the ovarian cancer walk this month. Tears are rolling down my face right now--you are such a wonderful young lady--I am so proud to be a part of your life. Thanks Jess--D

    ReplyDelete