Monday, August 31, 2009

Hot Child in the City

That's right, we went to the big city Friday night AND Saturday night for restaurant week this weekend. This is a very rare occasion for us so naturally I'm beat this beautiful Monday morning. First I will start with Saturday and work backwards, because I feel like being a little backwards to make things interesting. We went to Chamberlain's Fish Market... all is good in life.I had the Almond crusted flounder and a baked potato. Let me tell you, it was good eatin! That night went very smoothly, good drinks, nice dinner, nice company, nice night.


Friday night was a different story. We went to Tre Amici Friday night with a good friend of my husbands. I have no pictures at all, there is a funny story as to why. I was sporting a fabulous dress that I was wearing for the first time. Snug fit with a zipper down the side all the way to my hip. We sat down at our table and not ten minutes into dinner I all of the sudden felt a lot looser in my dress. That is when I realized that I was having the most MAJOR wardrobe malfunction of my life. My zipper had very slowly busted, I don't even know how a zipper can slowly bust. I looked at my husband, I must have had a look like I was dying, because he freaked as he asked what was wrong. I just looked down at the side of my dress, luckily he was sitting on the same side of my zipper. Of course he started laughing, I would have laughed too if it had not been me. We had not even had our salads yet so I had a while to sit there with all "the goods" showing. It was a good thing that I did not have time to switch to my little purse so I still had my bag lady purse. I walked straight to the bathroom with the purse on the side to cover my malfunctioning zipper. When I got to the bathroom I locked myself in a stall and began the real panic, which in turn made me sweat....a lot. I tried to pull the zipper down but it was stuck....more sweat. I had to completely take off my dress and almost break the zipper to get it down to where it started. I am completely freaking out at this point standing in a bathroom stall in underware and heals. I got the zipper down and put my dress back on and made a deal with God that if he would just please fix my zipper I promised that I would totally give up something good for lent this year and stick with it. I yanked my zipper up holding my breath and it worked! It was fixed! So after the twenty minute bathroom break I was back at the table with my husband and his friend looking at them as they tried to hold back their laughter. It's a good thing that I am not easily embarrassed. I made it through dinner!

The rest of the weekend was pretty boring compared to that. I helped a friend move yesterday which I can totally feel today. I was so tired last night that I didn't even watch True Blood (don't worry I will be watching tonight).

As promised here is the Mexican Casserole recipe from last week:


Mexican casserole :


4 cups unprepared white rice 4-5 tomatoes
4-5 cans low sodium chicken broth 1-2 onions
8 cloves garlic 2 lbs. lean ground beef
2 16 oz. bags of Mexican cheese 2 cans corn, drained
2 cans beans (your choice) 2 jars salsa verde (up to you)
1-2 jars enchilada sauce Taco seasoning (or chili powder, cumin, paprika)
Sour cream Cilantro
Butter 2 pkgs. flour tortillas


First prepare Rice with chicken broth. Chop up tomatoes, onions and garlic. Saute in pan with a tablespoon of butter. Add 3 tbsp. chili powder, and 1 1/2 Tbsp. of both paprika and cumin. Stir until combined. This is where you add your beans, if you like them...no need to drain. Mix cooked rice together with tomato, onion, garlic mixture. Brown the ground beef using about 3 Tbsp. chili powder, 1 1/2 Tbsp. both paprika and cumin and salt to taste with about 4-6 oz. of water to create the taco beef.


Spread one jar of salsa verde in the bottom of a large casserole or baking dish. Layer on tortillas covering the salsa, there will be overlapping. Divide your rice mixture in half and spread it over the tortilla layer. Divide cheese in half and layer it on top of the rice layer. Add another layer of tortillas on top of your cheese layer. Pour enchilada sauce over the tortillas evenly. Add layer of browned ground beef. A cans of corn, drained, on top of beef. Then the remaining amount of rice, on top of corn, followed by the remaining jar of salsa verde. The final layer will be the remaining cheese.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy.

(I got this particular recipe from The Pioneer Woman, I would try to use tortilla chips the next time I make this, the tortillas got a little soggy.)


No comments:

Post a Comment